ABC News & People Magazine are sponsoring Best in TV, a prime-time, 2-hour special to be hosted by Barbara Walters in September. (Airdate to be announced.) Viewers choose the winners by visiting this website and answering just 15 questions.
The categories and nominees were developed by a focus group of top actors, directors, producers and TV journalists. Norman Lear, Stephen Bochco, Shonda Rhimes, Ryan Seacrest, Tim Allen and Valerie Harper are just a few of that impressive group.
In each category, I wanted to vote for almost every nominee because they were all so deserving. No surprise that although there’s a category to honor the Best Non-Human TV Character (Mr. Spock, Miss Piggy, Lassie, Flipper…), NotMoms get no love. I wish there were a shout-out to “Best TV Friend”, too (Rhoda or Fonzie, for example).For “Favorite TV Dad”, I chose Cliff Huxtable from The Cosby Show. Why? In part because he’s the only TV dad I know who came right out and told his kids “I brought you here, and I can take you out.”
It was much more difficult for me to select just one TV Mom as my fave because I love them all. The choices are:
- Claire Huxtable (The Cosby Show)
- Roseanne (Roseanne)
- Marge Simpson (The Simpsons)
- Maude Findlay (Maude)
- Carmela Soprano (The Sopranos)
- Laura Petrie (The Dick Van Dyke Show)
- Carol Brady (The Brady Bunch)
- June Cleaver (Leave It to Beaver)
- Marie Barone (Everybody Loves Raymond)
- Marion Cunningham (Happy Days)
In the “Best TV Drama” grouping it took almost 5 minutes to finally select just one from a slate that includes The Sopranos, Mad Men, The West Wing, Breaking Bad and Friday Night Lights.
If there were a category for “Best TV NotMom”, how would you determine the winner? A good girlfriend? Someone who supports the kids around her? A working professional? Let’s have our own competition! As a woman without children, do you even notice the women like yourself on the air? I’m betting you do.
In our competition, as in the ABC/People contest, the slate starts with just 10 nominees:
- Aunt Bea (The Andy Griffith Show)
- Samantha Jones (Sex & the City)
- Rhoda Morgenstern (The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Rhoda)
- Karen Walker (Will & Grace)
- Christine Cagney (Cagney & Lacey)
- Ethel Mertz (I Love Lucy)
- Florence Johnston (The Jeffersons)
- Kalinda Sharma (The Good Wife)
- Jane Hathaway (The Beverly Hillbillies)
- Grace Hanadarko (Saving Grace)
The big difference here is that write-in nominees are also accepted (get ideas from the Fictional section of the Famous NotMoms page).
The winner will be announced in this space the same day as ABC’s “Best in TV” broadcast. Vote for your “Best TV NotMom” by commenting to this post, or by clicking on your choice in the right margin. You may vote more than once, but only one vote per device. My vote? I think it just might be Aunt Bea!