ABC News joined with People Magazine and the public to name the best characters on TV in more than a dozen categories. Barbara Walters hosted the prime-time, 2-hour special that crowned The Cosby Show’s Clair Huxtable as Best TV Mom. I’m here to say that just like Real Life, TV at its best needs women without children, too.
The Best TV NotMom, as chosen by our readers, is sex-thirsty PR power broker Samantha Jones on HBO’s Sex & the City, played to perfection by Kim Cattrall. WARNING: Everything about Samantha, especially her language, is strictly for adults.
Voting at TheNotMom.com for the Best TV NotMom opened when I began wondering about potential nominees. A special widget in the right margin (Don’t look. It’s gone.) offered readers 10 candidates:
- Aunt Bea (The Andy Griffith Show)
- Samantha Jones (Sex & the City)
- Rhoda Morgenstern (The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Rhoda)
- Karen Walker (Will & Grace)
- Christine Cagney (Cagney & Lacey)
- Ethel Mertz ( I Love Lucy )
- Florence Johnston (The Jeffersons)
- Kalinda Sharma (The Good Wife)
- Jane Hathaway (The Beverly Hillbillies)
- Grace Hanadarko (Saving Grace)